
My deepest sympathy goes to the family of Dan Fogelberg. We have lost a great man. He will live on in our hearts and through his music. The pop-rock singer best known for his songs "Longer," "Same Old Lang Syne," "Hard to Say," and "Leader of the Band" from the 80's, has passed away at his home in Maine at the age of 56 due to prostate cancer.
Dan Fogelberg created powerful songs in simplest form which mostly dealt with emotional issues in personal relationships. "Same Old Lang Syne," which details the events surrounding a surprise reunion with an old lover, is a good example of Fogelberg's gentle approach to potentially heart-wrenching personal events.
I remember the first song I learned to play in guitar with plucking technique was "Leader of the Band." That was over 20 years ago. I chose it because of the beautiful melody and I found the piece easy to play. I didn't pay too much attention to the lyrics or to what it meant. Only now that I watched him in youtube perform it, just him and his guitar, did I realize how personal it was for him. He sang it with so much passion and true emotion that you feel each word comes out of his heart and soul. This song brings back memories of time with my father, who has passed on. Most of us often don't realize how precious time is with the people in our life until we lose them. However, memories never fade away, and songs like this bring them right to the surface.
Just a few months ago I got hold of another piece by Dan. It's the song "Longer". Very beautiful song. I didn't think I could do it but it was a lot easier than I thought it would be.
Dan, your beautiful songs are the best gift we have ever received. They offer so much solace and comfort. You will always be remembered.May you rest in peace.
Here are some of his songs:
Leader of the Band
0 comments:
Post a Comment