November 12, 2004

I Belong Now

No longer will I consider myself an outcast in this train.

But there goes my quiet times. The times I spend to enjoy the beautiful landscapes we pass each morning. And the times I spend in reading my books. They're gone now.

It happened last night.

Pilipino ka ba? The guy sitting next to me had to repeat those words twice. I did not hear him the first time because I was busy reading my book. Brod, Pilipino ka ba? I turned and looked at him with a smile. Yes sir, I am. He asked me if I speak tagalog and I warmly said yes. His name was Al. Denie, whom I have been sharing a shuttle with, shook my hands. The guy in front was Steve. He seemed to be a very cheerful guy. He was one of those who can always think of a joke in every conversation. Him and Al. He took out a piece of paper and asked me for my e-mail address so I can get the invitations when they have gatherings. The next major one is the Christmas Party. Looks like he's the one coordinating this party. It will be held on the 18th of December. He put my name in the list.

He then introduced me to everyone else. There were six pinoys and a couple of pinays in the group that night. They all gave me a warm reception. I am now part of their group. I belong now.

.
There were more of them this morning. They all come from different places, Stockton, Tracy, Fremont, and Mountain House. Aling Benny gave me a "buddy application form." Apparently, she can get a 50% off from her next monthly pass if a newbie like me buys one too. There were two more women in the group but I forgot their names. I was never good at remembering names.

This morning's topic of discussion was the NBA games from last night. Filipinos are known to have an obsession in the game of basketball. This is not the national sport in the Philippines but it is so popular among Filipinos that virtually every barangay in the country has at least one basketball court.

Tomorrow, Saturday, I will try to play with these guys .....

1 comments:

eLf ideas said...

Edward,
Yeah, a time for solitariness is very important but to belong is the real essence of living and sharing the world with other individuals.

eLf